“Ecoalf was born in 2009, both the name and concept of the brand came after the birth of my two sons: Alfredo and Alvaro. I wanted to create a truly sustainable fashion brand and I believed the most sustainable thing to do was to stop using natural resources in a careless way to ensure those of the next generation. Recycling could be a solution if we were able to make a new generation of recycled products with the same quality and design as the best non recycled.
12 Years after, our mission and vision remains intact, if possible with more strength and clarity than ever.
Our planet is shaking and we need to act. It is time to take responsibility. We believe we have a mission that goes beyond just business. Fashion is one of the largest consumer goods industry in the world and one of the most pollutant. I believe the time when fashion was just about looking good is over. More than ever it has to be about doing what is right and feeling good about it. We have a chance and a responsibility to rethink the business model we want for the future.
We would like to share and reflect on our achievements in the past, and show our ongoing commitments in doing what is necessary for the future of our planet.
Love and affection,"
Discover our history
ECOALF was born in 2009 with a vision to stop carelessly using natural resources. Javier’s mission was to create the first generation of recycled products with the same quality and design as the best non-recycled products on the market.
After three years of R&D, the first collection of ECOALF clothing launched in its very own first flagship store located in the heart of Madrid.
Together with SIGNUS and CTCR (La Rioja Footwear Technology Center) came ECOALF’s innovative first collection of flip-flops. This award winning project is made 100% from recycled tires and does not need any type of glue thanks to the technology behind.
The Ecoalf foundation was born to support the most revolutionary project: ‘Upcycling the Oceans’. The project is a worldwide adventure created with the support of the fishing industry to help remove and recover marine waste that is destroying the oceans and close the loop by transforming it into top quality yarn and fabrics to produce high-quality products.
ECOALF opened its first store abroad in Berlin. Within Berlin’s central Mitte district at Alte Schönhauser Straße, the store location features a space dedicated to Act Now events and talks to raise awareness on the need to protect the planet.
In 2017 Upcycling Oceans was replicated in Thailand with the support of the Ministry of Tourism of Thailand and PTT Global Chemical to replicate Upcycling the Oceans in Southeast Thailand. A three-year commitment to clean 5 islands: Bangkok, Phuket, Rayong, Koh Tao, Koh Samui.
ECOALF became the first fashion company from Spain to receive a certificate as a B Corporation. The B - CORP certificate identifies that the company meets the highest standard of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and the purpose the company was built for. Recognized as the best companies for the world.
Expanding into new lines of apparel, ECOALF launches a 100% sustainable Yoga line made in Portugal. Using the latest technologies and recycled materials, the seamless line provides maximum comfort and performance.
Ecoalf opened up its first store in east Asia located within Tokyo Japan. Designed by Japanese architect Yohei Sakamaki, the store features several natural and recycled materials such as bamboo, stone, sand and wood, and is split into different areas including a second floor dedicated to education events and talks.
By 2020 the Schwab Foundation awarded Javier Goyeneche the Social Innovator of the Year award. As recognition of the company’s revolution to changing the fashion industry for good one bottle at a time.
The ECOALF Foundation is replicating the Upcycling the Oceans project across the Mediterranean Sea: currently expanded into Italy and Greece. Today, Upcycling the Oceans continues through Spain, Greece, Italy and Thailand with the support of more than 3,000 fishermen, taking more than 700 tonnes of waste from the bottom of the ocean. The mission is to collaborate with 10,00 and clean the bottom of the Med by 2025.
BECAUSE THERE IS NO PLANET B® has reached millions around the world. This brand shares each individual's commitment and inspires others to be part of the change. For every purchase that features this claim there is a 10% donation to the Ecoalf Foundation to continue to expand the Upcycling the Oceans project. #BecauseThereIsNoPlanetB
After 12 years of research and development in recycled fabrics, ECOALF launches a timeless, sustainable, premium line: ECOALF 1.0. The line merges minimalist forms and neutral colours with technical, low-impact filaments that have the lowest environmental impact on the market.
At Ecoalf, we say that we worry about the planet we are going to leave to our kids when we should be thinking about what kids we leave on the planet… With over 1,000 talks around the world in schools, universities, summits and forums to empower and inspire change in the world.
During COP25 in Madrid, Ecoalf signed the pact to become a ZERO CARBON EMISSIONS brand by 2030. We are monitoring and reducing our impact across everything that we do.
Here is our 10-year anniversary video sharing the story, innovation, impact and challenges behind Ecoalf.
OUR REFLECTIONS & MEASURES
- Ecoalf Team is convinced that Earth is facing a critical time and there is a need to take action NOW!
- Everything we do at Ecoalf should be constantly evaluated with the goal of doing the less harm possible to the planet . What you do is not enough anymore. How you do it, is!
- We believe the fashion business model with a new trend every month and the idea of buying/throwing, buying/throwing is creating a terrible impact on the planet in terms of natural resources consumption, energy and emissions.
- We don´t support promotional campaigns that nurture impulse buying and generate an excessive amount of waste that ends up in landfills.
- We believe in the need to reformulate nonsensical seasonal patterns. We can only achieve this through partnering with all the different fashion stakeholders (wholesalers, agents, brands, shows organizers, agencies...).
- Sustainability, innovation, quality and timeless design is a must for Ecoalf as a sign of durability and responsibility. Fashion trends are not one of our core design principles. We believe good design is neither new or old. It is merely a bridge from the past to the future.
- We don’t support overproducing. It creates waste and natural resources are not endless. We stand by this belief, even if it results in less sales.
- We are not afraid to show our weaknesses, frustrations and challenges. We are not perfect and do not claim to be so.
- As a proud member of the B-Corp community we acknowledge that our goal is not to be the biggest company in the world but the best for the world.
- Our goal is to reach zero carbon emissions by 2030.